Friday, October 19, 2012

Character Depth


Hello all!  I'm so sorry for my lack of updating!  There were computer issues and then there were life issues. At the end of August school started and has been a lot of work this year, but at least I get to go to the zoo everyday:)I'm going to try to start updating more regularly again.  Things are starting to calm down and I'm beginning to have a little more free time than I'm used to.

Picture of the Playbill
Okay, so onto the bulk of what I want to discuss: Character Depth.  I think that this really got my attention this past Friday night.  I was watching Broadway's Beauty and the Beast, which is my FAVORITE Disney movie.  I was watching the play and singing along to every song.  Everything was going great until right before the intermission; that's when it happened.  The Beast was up on one of the platforms singing "If I Can't Love Her" and my heart melted.  This was what the movie had been missing; this was the scene that I had unknowingly been waiting to see.  Everything about the song, the lyrics, the music, the voice, just made everything come together.  I was seeing what I had been longing to see, a sensitive side of the Beast.  His voice and words made me care for him deeper than what I had originally thought I should have.  I heard what he was thinking, what he was feeling.  I was seeing another side of him.  No longer was he this, almost, minor character to Belle's character transformation.  The Beast was a person, a person who felt scared to be falling in love, a person who didn't want to change, a person who just didn't go around roaring at everyone, he was a fully fledged character and one that I could relate to.  I don't know why they could have just allowed a little bit of the scared Beast show up in the film.  I know that they showed his changing after the wolf scene in the movie and during "Something There" but I don't think that it adequately portrayed the bruised and confused man inside.  Then again, those are my thoughts.  Just a little side note on Beauty and the Beast; it was amazing!  If this play comes to a theater near you I'd suggest that you try to go.  It was beyond amazing and the songs were fabulous, along with all the witty comments that I just adore!

Going on to the Character Depth part, I think that characters need depth.  Yup, that's it.  I'm sick and tired of all of these flat characters.  I mean, authors give the characters faults and quirks but I still don't think that is enough.  I love reading books where I think that I know each and every one of the characters.  People have pasts, people have wants and desires and strange ways of thinking things through.  People change sides, they make mistakes, they do stupid things to hurt themselves.  And those all have thoughts and decisions behind them.  Too often do I read characters that are just overblown stereotypes that do things for no apparent reason.  I'll admit it too that I have also written out characters that don't make much sense when I read back through my writings.  I like to think that I am becoming better at adding depth, but I know I still have a long way to go.

Relating back into the world of YA, defending your work by the pathetic excuse of "Well they're hormonal teenagers" is not acceptable.  I've read that excuse a few times before because of a random kiss or a random debate.  I can tell you for a fact that the excuse of being a hormonal teenager doesn't work for parents, teacher or any adults in the real world, why should it be an excuse for a fictional world?  It's not.  We teenagers are great strategist, well at least the ones I know.  We plan our outbursts, our date invitations, our kisses, our sex, our actions in general.  Occasionally we'll have a slip, especially after one of our plans blow up in our face and leaves us with an unsavory aftermath.  But in general we're pretty controlled group with a few outliers that mess up our image for everyone... (Sorry, homecoming was last Saturday and my distaste for my peers has only elevated, because I do NOT need to see that!)

It's a deep picture... I just thought that
we needed another picture for this post
Moving onward.  What can we do about this whole lack of depth?  I say we plan.  Bring out the index cards and notebooks.  I say we write down every little thing that we want to include about our characters and then write how things came to be that way or how they got there.  Does the character have a scar?  Where did they get that scar?  How did they get that scar?  Who was with them?  Did they go to the hospital?  Do they no longer do the activity that gave them that scar?  Is it visible?  Are they embarrassed?  Do people still make fun of them for that?  How do they think of themselves because of the scar?  Answer these question and any other ones for each little thing about your character.  It may seem tedious and a waste of time, but I think that it helps with the planning of characters.  Allow the characters to have many differetn layers, like an ogre ;).  One other idea is to bounce it off another person.  Ask if the scene your working on makes sense, if the character does what a normal person would do.  See if the character seems superficial or flat.  Ask someone for their honesty, no niceness needed.  You’ll be surprised how much information you can get from a fresh pair of eyes, especially in small details like this. 

I do believe that is all I have got to say on this.  Do any of you have any ways that your able to create Character Depth?  Do you have any good examples of this?  What are your opinions?  I'd sure love to hear them!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Character depth makes a story for me, and a lot of books leave that out in their rush to have an action-packed plot. (Forgetting that action is a result of character reaction...the two are inextricable.) I think one of the keys to great characters is complexity -- not letting any character be all bad or all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that you're correct with the all good or all bad, it makes the writing seem amateur-ish. Action-packed plots seem to take over a lot of novels, at least the books that I have read, and they just seem too rushes. Also, the depth makes the books for me too!

      Delete
  2. You're making me really sorry that I missed B&B when it was hear a while ago.

    Yes, character depth is so important, and it's equally important for all the major characters (and arguably for the minor characters), no matter what the plot is. At least in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! It was amazing, hopefully you'll be able to catch it when it goes around again in the future!

      I agree completely with your opinion. I love when minor characters have almost the same amount of character depth as the main characters. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete